I was back from Bali last week and wanted to bake something really simple since I was quite tired. I had stomach upset for a week and was feeling unwell those days. Instead of beating up meringue and making chiffon cakes, I decided to go with making a quick bread.
This turned out really fragrant. There was definitely something subtle that accentuated the bananas, perhaps the caramel & smokey notes from the bourbon. It smelt really good in the oven too. I started to slice it when it was still warm out of the oven, so it became crumbly.. I should have been patient and slice the loaf when fully cooled!
BOURBON BANANA BREAD
Adapted from Cooking With Dog
170g Ripe Banana (6 oz) – net weight
½ tbsp Bourbon
100g Caster Sugar (3.5 oz)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
40g Butter, unsalted (1.4 oz)
2 tbsp Banana Milk
170g Cake Flour (6 oz)
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 pinches of Salt
- Mash banana with a fork. Add in bourbon into mashed banana and mix. Set aside.
- Melt milk and butter together using a microwave. Use short pulses (10 secs) and check regularly. Set aside.
- Beat egg with sugar until sugar has dissolved. Mix in vanilla extract.
- Add in milk and melted butter mixture. Mix until combined.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder and salt into the mixture. Drop spoonfuls of banana bourbon mash on top of the flour.
- Using a spatula, fold everything together. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 170C for 50 minutes. Once baked, remove from oven and let cool for a while. Remove the cake from pan onto a wire rack to prevent condensation on the sides of the cake.